Throughout my life, I’ve had negative experiences with various forms of birth control. From feeling unwell on birth control pills during high school to experiencing extreme psychological side effects with the copper IUD in my early thirties, it became clear that these methods were not serving me.
After removing the IUD and undergoing a heavy metal detox, I noticed a significant improvement in my debilitating symptoms. This pivotal moment led me to dive deep into understanding my cycle, listening to my body, and discovering the Fertility Awareness Method (FAM) as my primary method of birth control. I knew there had to be a better way for me.
If you find yourself ready to stop using hormonal birth control or another method that isn’t working for you, or if you’ve already discontinued your birth control and are experiencing hormonal chaos, I want you to know that you’re not alone. That’s why I’ve created a FREE resource called the “Aligned Cycle Guide ~ Finding Hormonal Balance After Birth Control.”
In this guide, you’ll find valuable information to support you on your journey towards hormonal balance. It also includes a Castor Oil and Body Brushing Guide, providing natural ways to reconnect with your body and nourish your hormones naturally.
The truth is that hormonal birth control has many benefits for modern women. However, long-term hormonal birth control use can harm your gut microbiome, cause inflammation, lead to nutrient deficiencies, and suppress ovulation and your natural hormone production.
Because of this, many women experience relentless symptoms after they stop using hormonal birth control such as: thinning hair, bloating, weight gain, mood swings, fatigue, acne breakouts, infertility, and irregular periods. And if you had irregular periods and hormone imbalance before you started birth control, those symptoms are likely to return and may even be worse than they were before!
Many of these women were unaware that the regular “menstruation” they experienced on the pill was merely a “withdrawal” bleed during the placebo pill days. The pill had essentially suppressed their natural hormone production.
I want to shed light on these important issues and help women navigate their hormone health after discontinuing birth control. Your well-being matters, and I’m here to provide the support and guidance you need.
If you’re considering coming off of birth control and want to balance your hormones using functional medicine principles, here are some steps you can take:
- Consult with a Healthcare Provider: It’s essential to consult with a healthcare provider, preferably one who specializes in functional medicine or integrative medicine. They can guide you through the process and provide personalized recommendations based on your specific health needs.
- Support Your Liver: The liver plays a vital role in hormone metabolism and detoxification. Supporting liver health can aid in hormonal balance. You can support your liver by eating a nutrient-rich diet, minimizing alcohol consumption, avoiding exposure to environmental toxins, and considering liver-supporting supplements or herbs (under the guidance of a healthcare provider or local herbalist). I mention a few of my favorites in the Aligned Cycle Guide.
- Optimize Gut Health: The gut microbiome has a significant impact on hormone regulation. To support your gut health, focus on consuming a variety of whole, nutrient-dense foods, including fiber-rich fruits and vegetables. Consider incorporating probiotics and fermented foods into your diet, and minimize processed foods, added sugars, and artificial additives.
- Manage Stress: Chronic stress can disrupt hormone balance. Incorporate stress management techniques into your daily routine, such as meditation, deep breathing exercises, yoga, or regular physical activity. Find activities that help you relax and unwind.
- Nutrient Support: Adequate nutrition is essential for hormone balance. Focus on a balanced diet that includes a variety of nutrients, including healthy fats, high-quality proteins, and a wide range of fruits and vegetables. Consider incorporating nutrient-dense foods like leafy greens, cruciferous vegetables, fatty fish, and seeds into your meals. In some cases, your healthcare provider may recommend targeted supplementation to address specific nutrient deficiencies. (If you want a list of womb nourishing food and recipes, I made a guide for this also- CLICK HERE).
- Track Your Cycle: Once you’ve discontinued birth control, tracking your menstrual cycle can provide valuable insights into your hormone balance. You can use methods such as tracking basal body temperature, cervical mucus changes, and use apps designed for menstrual cycle tracking. My favorite app is the Read Your Body App because they keep your data private and don’t predict your fertile window. Apps that predict your fertility are working off an algorithm and not listening to your personal biomarkers. These apps can be very inaccurate! Listening to your body’s natural rhythm and identifying any irregularities will help you make the changes needed to bring your body back to balance.
Are you ready to explore how to rebalance hormones naturally? If so, I invite you to take the next step on your journey towards hormonal wellness.
Please keep in mind that every individual is unique, and the approach to balancing hormones can vary. That’s why working with a healthcare provider experienced in functional medicine can make a significant difference. They can help you develop a personalized plan that addresses your specific needs and goals.
I am here to support you in returning home to yourself and your unique rhythm. If you’re curious about what it would be like to work together, I invite you to schedule a complimentary Strategy Session with me. During this session, we can discuss your concerns, goals, and explore how I can assist you on your path to hormonal balance. To schedule your session, simply click the link below.
If you know someone who could benefit from this support, please feel free to share the link with them. My mission is to empower more women with the information they need to make informed decisions about their birth control options.
Thank you for being a part of our community. Together, let’s embark on a journey of hormonal harmony and well-being.